Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Alain Bachellier

My posting has been a little sporadic this week as I am trying to wrap up a freelance project.  I love doing freelance work, but sometimes I just have to neglect my other projects to give it my full energy.  

But before I head out for hopefully a beautiful weekend, I thought I should say a few words about Mother's Day.  When Anna Jarvis trademarked the phrases "second Sunday in May" and "Mother's Day" in 1912, she was very specific about the apostrophe.  Her intention was that this would be a holiday that each family would celebrate their own mother...not a vague celebration of all the mothers of the world.  

So whether your mother is still with you or has passed on, lives down the street or across the country, make sure to find a special way to celebrate her and why she is special to you.  Because no matter our situation, where would we be without our mothers? 

I know I don't do enough of this myself through out the year.  As I've grown older I've come to appreciate my mom more, seeing how strong, independent, patient and caring she is.  She has such a big heart for her troubled students, and while many of them call her their mom, it makes me so proud that she truly is my mom.  So Happy Mother's Day mom, I don't think I will be able to fully appreciate all you do until I become a Mom myself, but I think I already have a pretty good idea.  And for that, all I can say is thank you.

2 comments:

  1. You are welcome! You're a pretty great daughter as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I had a sneaking suspicion that dutchgirl was you Mom! Glad to see you joining the Blog world as well as reading my posts :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin