Thursday, February 26, 2009

Days with My Father





Days with My Father is a photo journal of sorts about a son's relationship with his aging father after his mother passed away.  While he does not have Alzheimers, he has no short term memory.  His accounts are heartbreaking, joyful, funny, touching and sad all in one.  The beautiful photography is so full of real human emotion.  

This journal reminds me to be thankful of the time I have with my parents.  It is also a sad reminder of my grandmother who suffers from Alzheimers.  She had always lived in Ohio when I was growing up.  But there was a short time a few years back when we were all living in the same place and I was able to be a part of her life.  It was scary how quickly her memories seemed to fade away.  And I will never forget the day when my memory and identity no longer held a place in her mind.  

She is back with my aunt in Ohio now and unfortunately I am not able to be a part of her everyday life.  Sadly most of her memories have escaped her at this point.  I only wish I had been more diligent about keeping a visual account of our time together like Phillip is doing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin