Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Finds at the Georgetown Flea Market













This past weekend one of my friends introduced me to the Georgetown Flea Market. Surprisingly I hadn't even known that Georgetown had a flea market, but I am so glad I know now. Living close to Eastern Market I was getting sick of the same vendors every weekend. And it never felt like anything was a treasure hunt or find.

But the Georgetown Flea Market is like the ultimate treasure hunt. With different vendors every week and even different goods every week, it is fun to find diamonds in the rough. They have everything from refinished antique furniture, jewelry, silverware, and prints.













This vendor had gorgeous antique jewelry. Just look at those beautiful gold rings in the bottom of the picture. Unfortunately they were a little out of my price range. Just because it is a flea market doesn't mean it is necessarily under valued! Though there are still some good deals to be found.















But my proud find are these antique architectural drawings. Since I grew up with an interest in architecture from my dad and my roommate also has an interest, I thought it would be the perfect addition to our walls. Also they are pretty timeless pieces that could match any color scheme or style. They were around $8 a piece, but I bargained with the vendor to give me 5 for $30. Man I love bargaining and wish I could do it for more of my purchases!



















































































So now you ask what are you going to do with these prints. Well I have the perfect plan....so far it is just in my head. But I'm hoping to turns out like I'm imagining.

Originally I wanted to buy different sizes to create a framed collage above the couch. But unfortunately he only had this one size. So instead I am just going to get them custom framed at different sizes. I'm playing with the idea of making one of the horizontal pictures extra long with extra mat on each side. I am also playing with the idea of framing some in white with a thin black edge and some in black with a thin white edge. To add some variance and depth. Especially since my rental has white walls.

Usually custom framing is extremely expensive. So to be honest I most often end up buying generic Ikea frames. But since I don't really have a choice if I want to make them unique sizes, I have to bite the bullet on this one. Fortunately I am headed home to North Carolina this weekend and there is a cheap custom framer at the fair grounds. So I will let you know next week how my treasure and little home project turns out!

For your info the Georgetown Flea Market is every Sunday from 8 am to 4 pm. It is located close to the intersection of Wisconsin and 34th St, NW. Happy treasure hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin